Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Golden Years- David Bowie




A little about David Bowie and the song. This song by David Bowie was composed in 1975. It was origionally released as a shortened single in November of 1975 and was released in it's full length on the album Station to Staion in January 1976. This album was made in David Bowie's addiction to cocain years.

This song has a slow buldup at the starting with precussion and guitar then it starts to get a lot more levels of instruments. The layers built more and more as the song goes on and then the singing comes in. I don't really get all of the different sounds in the music i don't really like it. This song kind of gives me a jazz, funk or soal feel. The harmoney is kind of random but it does fit with the melody. I think that this song is complimentary because all of the instruments go well together, they have a nice flow.

I personally don't like the song because I don't listen to this type of music and I don't like who they sing about the same thing over and over again. I don't like the chours because they repeat it over and over as well at the end of the song. I think that this sounds tacky and I don't like it. The first chorus comes into the song at about 45 seconds into the song and then again at 1 minute and 31 seconds. Then again at 2 minutes and 35 seconds they repeat themselves too many times. I swear they have said Golden years about 300 times in this song. But, I counted it's only 20 it feels like a lot more. Personally I don't feel for the lyrics either for some reason they don't make any sence.

I think he is singing about and angel at one point then about something totally different I think that it may not make sence because he was on cocain at the time when he made this song. That may have made some sort of impact to why it pretty much doesn't make sence. Usually when you like a song the lyris, riffs or hooks catch you and you remember the song but, with this song i didn't get caught on anything. This song is very simple and complex as well, I think if they would have made it more appealing and used more instruments it would have been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment